This page is a collection of links to my Tips posts that I write. I want to make sure that people can find these posts and that they have more visibility than a simple category can provide. This page will definitely grow over time and allow this page to become more and more useful. At least that is my hope.
I encourage anyone to leave comments to correct, expand, or point to good locations in other places in web. I am including Tips posts that I have published to other sites such as the EMC Developer Network where I have a 2nd “blog” titled Pie on Content Management. This information has worked for me, but may not be suitable for every situation.
And now the list of my Tips posts, sorted in descending order by original posting date. The date listed is the date of the most recent comment/update to the Tip.
- A Documentum Folder’s Existential Crisis: [Updated 2011-04-27] What happens you have an automated ingestion process, operating parallel threads, that gets confused? If you are that unlucky, I have the fix for you.
- Installing Documentum 6.6 on SQL Server 2008 and 64-bit: [Updated 2010-08-02] Having issues creating a repository on a 64-bit Windows system against SQL Server 2008? Well, you weren’t alone.
- Identifying Documentum Object Types: [Updated 2009-11-05] Have you ever gotten a message about some weird object type id and didn’t know where to begin looking, look no further.
- Where Did the Time Go? D6 and the UTC Timestamp: [Updated 2009-06-19] Documentum changed how time stamps are stored in D6 for new repositories. Find out how to control that behavior.
- Don’t Depend on That Sequential Object ID: [Updated 2009-06-17] Why? Object IDs are not always sequential. Learn more about the why and what you should do in this Tip.
- Federations and Replicating LDAP Definitions [Updated 2009-05-06] Got multiple LDAP definitions in a Federated environment? Read this for what EMC doesn’t tell you about the process.
- Taming the Documentum Audit Trail [Updated 2008-07-09] Is the Audit Trail starting to hamper performance? Instead of simply removing the information, have you tried a Data Shack?
- Watch the DFC Registry Mode [Updated 2008-06-06] How to control where Documentum stores registry information for content used in the DFC-based applications.
- Deleting a Lot of Rows from a Database [Updated 2008-04-11] When you have a large number of rows to delete but you don’t want to significantly impact performance, try this out.
- Dynamically Creating Users in the DFC [Updated 2009-12-09] Want to create a user through code? Want to wipe one out? Here is some simple DFC code to help you out.
- SQL Server Database Ownership for a Documentum Database [Updated 2007-12-11] Repository not starting or Upgrading? Getting errors that say they can’t find a user? Have you mucked with the database? Do you want to? This helps tell you how it is supposed to look.
- Sizing a D6 System [Updated 2007-11-22] Trying to size your D6 system and can’t find the sizing spreadsheet? I got a copy of the draft version and here are the differences I noted between it and the 5.3 version.
- Moving to SQL Server 2005 for D6 [Updated 2009-02-04] Running SQL Server and thinking about D6? Running SQL Server 2000 and want a performance boost? Start here.
- Watch that Case [Updated 2007-10-02] Your login name for Documentum is case-sensitive more often than you think.
- Fixing LDAP Group Membership [Updated 2007-08-28] Have users that won’t stay in their assigned LDAP groups when they enter Documentum? Start here.
- Contentless Objects as Lookups, Even Less than Content [Updated 2008-09-16] Running queries against repeating attributes and getting blanks back? Check this out.
- Forcing an LDAP Update in Documentum [Updated 2007-08-12] In the unlikely case where your LDAP Sychronization job is overlooking something, here is a way to force Documentum to get back on track.
- Windows Installation for Content Server [Updated 2008-06-03] Tips on getting everything ready for the installation.
- Render Me This [Updated 2007-07-09] A tip on using Renditions in a non-traditional way to create a relationship between two documents.
- Invasion of the Virtual Documents [Updated 2007-07-24] Basically a discussion on when to user, and more importantly, not use Virtual Documents.